[Bell Historians] Re: Warners bells

David Bryant david at b...
Sun Jun 27 20:13:36 BST 2004

> My comments on the sound? The Victorian tenor sticks out like the
> proverbial sore-thumb, and spoils a sweet-sounding six. Did Warners
> attempt to re-tune it to match the others? If so, then it was a
> failure.

I imagine the tenor will quite probably be so bad that even with the
expertise which both of the current bellfoundries now have it would be
difficult to do much with it - C&G Mears were probably the worst of the
mainstram Victorian founders. Not only are their bells generally poor toned,
but some are highly porous. Warner's understanding of tuning was linited
compared to what can be achieved today in any case - they may well have just
matched the nominals.