[Bell Historians] Liverpool Cathedral Bells

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Tue Jun 29 23:30:57 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Before you run off castigating Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, the truly great arc=
hitect of Liverpool Cathedral, you should remember that he was a personal f=
riend of A A Hughes. Both were men of integrity and humility. Both, and als=
o Paul Taylor, the founder of 'Great George', warned the Cathedral authori=
ties of the consequences which would attend the placing of such enormousd q=
uantities of bell metal within such vast spaces surrounded by so much concr=
ete and with so little enclosure for the ringers.

Dean Dwelly had his own ideas about bells and ringers, as came out at the o=
pening of the Cathedral bells in 1951, and the consequences of the imstalla=
tion as it was made and remains must be laid squarely at his door.=20
The primary sources can probably now never be quoted so you'll have to take=
my word for it, as one who was much too young to be there, but whose fasci=
nation with the subject has remained ever since I first read about Liverpoo=
l's great Cathedral.

DLC=20
----- Original Message -----=20