[Bell Historians] Greenock

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Tue Mar 9 16:26:29 GMT 2004

>	A writer in 'Scottish Antiquity' (April 1893) ...the bell
>originally hung
>in the original parish church [and was transferred] to the new [one] where
>it still [is chimed]. Its dimensions are 18" in length; 12" in
>circumference at the apex; about 4'6" at the mouth...the inscription is FOR
>THE CHURCH AT GRINOCK 1677 RP three bells in a triangle VIVOS VOCO MORTUOS
>PLANGO.

One of those measurements is inconsistent with the rest, unless the
bell has a _very_ peculiar shape. The circumference of 4'6"
translates to a diameter of just over 17", which is consistent with
the height (especially for such an old bell). But a circumference of
12" translates to a diameter of less than four inches. That's
scarcely believable, unless the writer was measuring the crown and
not the shoulder; but who ever does that?

Carl

I checked the WN&Q entry, and the figures are correct. The writer, who only
signs themselves as 'Z' may have made a mistake when he took the figures
from 'Scottish Antiquary' (sorry made a mistake there) of April 1893. I
suppose some library will have a copy of this.

AW