European bell ringing

Frances Mortlock FrancesM9620 at c...
Thu Mar 11 16:31:16 GMT 2004

Dear All,

I am researching into the differences between English change ringing and the types of bell ringing that developed in Europe (carillons etc.). I have found plenty of good books about why change ringing evolved here but haven't been able to pin down why the idea didn't take off in Europe (although I know there are examples in Italy that developed independently). The Reformation seems to be key factor in its development here - was that the only reason it did not grow in Europe and, if so, why?

I apologise to all those who have already seen this question posted on bellringers.org message board (and thanks for all the replies)!

Thanks, Frances Mortlock