The Crossover

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Sun Mar 14 18:03:45 GMT 2004

Andrew Higson:

> It was not until the end of the 1920's that the
> current profile was standardised (after a 5-6 year
> crossover period).

By co-incidence I have just been working on some recordings of
Tavistock (a smashing ten!). The back eight are Taylors 1925, and I
noticed some differences between the various bells. Making a wild
guess, I should say the 4, 6 and 8 of the original eight (6, 8 and
10 of the ten) are old profile, and the 3 and 7 of the orginal
eight, plus possibly the 5, are new profile. The 7 in particular
looks experimental.

Any views - or is this another one of my theories that bites the
dust?

Bill H