Oldest Change Ringing bell

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Mon Mar 15 17:59:25 GMT 2004

John Ketteringham asked of some of us privately, "Can anyone tell me which is the oldest bell rung regularly to change ringing ?" The sort of thing we all know until someone asks it out of the blue and you're stumped for a moment.

So, what advances on Canterbury, St Dunstan, 5th of six, c1325, William le Belyetere of Canterbury ?

Come on, boys and girls, someone can do better than that can't they ?

Let's have the claimants and do our little bit to 'lift the tone back to its normal level of dry erudition' (from the e-lists p.261) in which (this week) "Wicked William" has us wallowing.

DLC