[Bell Historians] Oldest Change Ringing bell

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Wed Mar 17 05:04:42 GMT 2004

At 23:23 +0000 2004/03/16, David Cawley wrote in part:
>3. ... to assign unattributed bells to anyone without the proper
>evidence is a risky undertaking. One can say that "The shape of the
>bell resemebles that of bells attributed to.....(or by)" or that the
>lettering is like that used by....,or believed to be that of....etc.
>With dating by shape, I think we are on firmer ground. Fred himself
>said however that care must be exercised when we come to the
>archaic-style bells, particularly in remote locations where old
>techniques may have hung on longer.

This excellent analysis (and warning!) triggered two not quite
related thoughts in my mind.

Firstly, there is the question of how/when/where various changes in
casting techniques and design were propagated in the archaic and
medieval times, when both communications and transport were so much
more difficult than in later centuries. I've long known of the
general European history of the evolution in bell shapes from the
long-waisted archaic style to the modern style. But now I wonder
whether anyone has ever analyzed the various stages of that evolution
in terms of where they began, why they happened, and how they spread
to other regions. For example, were there any particularly
innovative and influential bellfounders? or were the changes so
gradual that no one realized what was happening until long after the
fact? Were there regions that were either particularly quick or
particularly slow to adopt technological innovations?

Secondly, there is the observation that the history of American
bellfounding is vastly different to/from (:-) that of Europe in
general and England in particular. By the time the colonial society
had developed its technological abilities to begin to cast its own
bells, it had experience with importing bells from well-established
foundries in England; the day of the itinerant bellfounder casting
bells in pits in the churchyard below the tower in which they were to
hang was largely past. So even the earliest bellfounders here tended
to operate from a fixed base, using imported bells as their models.
As a result, unattributed bronze bells in this country are extremely
rare; it is much more likely (though still uncommon) for a bell to be
attributed but undated. (Examples are the later Revere bells made in
Boston and the work of David Caughlan in St.Louis.)

Out of more than 1000 bells I've identified (or at least inspected
closely) in the St.Louis area, there are only a dozen that are truly
unattributed. They carry no inscriptions; by shape and style they
are unlike anything else I've ever seen; and there is no surviving
evidence from the places where they now hang or where they were
found. Unless someone with experience of faraway foundries visits
here, they will likely never be identified or dated.

On the other hand, there are a few bells which are superficially
anonymous but nevertheless readily identifiable. In style they are
identical to known products of various foundries; but either they
never had inscriptions (usually because they are quite small) or the
inscriptions were at some time removed (e.g., by a dealer in
second-hand bells who wanted to conceal their origin).

Because of the readiness of communications and transport on this
continent in the 19th c. (at least by comparison with previous
centuries, if not with our own), the various American bellfoundries
could advertise and compete effectively over an extremely wide
geographical area. Shape (with its concomitant effect upon sound)
was a significant component of competition. So in this country,
shape is an important key to attribution of a bell but is not
particularly useful in dating (other than as attribution to a
particular maker limits the possible range of dates to that maker's
known period of operation).

Carl