[Bell Historians] Fw: Re: Oldest Change Ringing bell

djb122uk david at b...
Wed Mar 17 09:58:34 GMT 2004

>Preston-on-Wye: presumably the treble of four is somewhere in the
augmented ring; Sharpe says it "may be identified by its shape and
design as an early fourteenth bell" (with a beautiful illustration by
CD). Very much like the Canterbury bell referred to previously.

They were augmented by topping and tailing, and I seem to recall that
one of the old bells was retired and replaced by a new one, and I
think it was the treble. Perhaps CD can confirm?