[Bell Historians] London Church

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Wed Mar 24 14:35:09 GMT 2004

"I was at a meeting in London yesterday at Birkbeck College in
Torrington Square when I noticed large church in Byng Place that
according to my map may have been part of University College London.
There was a central tower that looked as if it was never completed to
its full height and the west(?) end was finished in brick, rather
than stone, suggesting it too was never completed. What is this
church and were bells ever intended for the tower?"

That is the University Church of Christ the King. Chris Pickford's M25 notes
say:
Church - Catholic Apostolic Church, Gordon Square, by Brandon & Ritchie,
1850-54 - illustrated in Hitchcock pl.V.35-6
London inventory p.47 - no bell

I must admit that I don't know any more about it than that. Since it was not
originally Anglican, I guess it is doubtful it was meant to have bells.

DrL

from any virus transmitted.