[Bell Historians] Re: Tubular Bells

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sat Mar 27 21:13:44 GMT 2004

Nothing off-topic on me.....and I can remember when RCO came to drag me out from behind the counter of my Dad's shop in order to go and visit the tubular bells at St Alphege, Seasalter, Whitstable, G.O.C (Kent). They were a particularly dreadful set. The back six of the eight bells which replace them were put in by Harry Parkes, myself and R.C.O. and were the first ring from Whitechapel to be tuned to Equal Temperament; trebles added in 1973 and the 3rd replaced in 1975. Unfortunately it was just before WBF altered their gauges with the result that, like Radlett, another 3-cwt 6, they are in G. Paul Taylor visited in 1971 on an outing (he having quoted for a similar ring, but in E); "What a b....waste of metal" ! I told the late Bill Hughes about this and he offered to tune them down to F# for nothing. The Vicar wouldn't allow it. When I asked AH some ten years later he quoted what seemed to be an astronomical price, and it would have not been correct to have gone elsewhere.I don't think they'll go down to E, but if I win the lottery.....

Getting back to Kent, when you realize that it has nurtured from birth Cawley, Love and Offen (not to mention the good Dr Baldwin and 'OldNick') even if you don't agree that it's God's Own County, there's got to be something about it, eh ?

Must get back to my sermon......

DLC
----- Original Message -----
From: David Bryant
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Tubular Bells

> I have heard it said that the best things in Yorkshire are the roads
> that lead into Lancashire.

Yeah, right! The other way round more like!

Talking of Lancashire, anyone know what the results of the 12-bell
eliminator at Liverpool today were (this may seem off topic, but as
moderator of the list I can never be off topic!!)

I blame DLC for starting this off-topic thread, anyway.

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor