[Bell Historians] Re: Tubular Bells

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Sun Mar 28 19:27:48 BST 2004

Unfortunately it was just before WBF altered their gauges with the
result that, like Radlett, another 3-cwt 6, they are in G. Paul
Taylor visited in 1971 on an outing (he having quoted for a similar
ring, but in E); "What a b....waste of metal" ! I told the late Bill
Hughes about this and he offered to tune them down to F# for nothing.
The Vicar wouldn't allow it. When I asked AH some ten years later he
quoted what seemed to be an astronomical price, and it would have not
been correct to have gone elsewhere.I don't think they'll go down to
E, but if I win the lottery.....

Why do they need tuning down two semitones?

One of the good things about Seasalter is that they're, in the words
of George Pipe, a good 'gutsy' ring, with a bit of meat to them.
Not wishing to offend anyone (so I probably will!), I'd far rather
listen to the likes of Seasalter than the thin, insipid tones of
Rochford, Lightcliffe or Newhey any day!