[Bell Historians] Re: Whitstable (Seasalter)

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Mon Mar 29 11:58:31 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dcawley at w...>
wrote:
> On Seasalter, Whitstable (8: t. 24" 3-1-13 in G) yes they
are 'gutsy' - in fact the tenor is overmuch so compared with the
others. But it was not long after that Whitechapel wre quoting
their 'standard' 2' bell as 24" in F#; and a little while later as 24
1/4" in F. Bill Hughes in the aforementioned conversation (1973) told
me that they were being rather careful, and that tuning down to F#
would give a livelier ring with a less noisy tenor. It would also
make the casting and tuning of the two trebles which I was ordering a
little easier.

> I've only rung at Rochford of the 8-bell Taylor rings which Richard
mentions. They are 4-0-19 in D; the other two are both C# and about
28 lb heavier. All are the same diameter. Rochford are in a big brick
tower and I like them (the bells, not the small wheels). Scole,
Norfolk (6: 4-1-2 in Db) are equally pleasant, but in a small stone
tower. I would describe neither as thin or insipid. The even smaller
(and earlier - 1958) Taylor ring at Saxthorpe, Norfolk (6: 24 1/2", 2-
3-10 in E) are to me equally pleasant sounding. But I know some
people dislike them.

> I suppose you pays your money and you takes your choice, and I for
one am pleased we bought the Whitechapel bells - and I'd still like
to have them tuned down !

> DLC

David is right, it's all a matter of personal preference. We both
rang at Rochford for the first time on the same day (a Seasalter
outing) and I remember that Daivd liked them and I didn't (but we
both agreed that they were extremely difficult to ring compared to
Seasalter!). Oh dear are we getting off track and spamming
again ...sorry!