[Bell Historians] Re: Accoustics and tone

Peter Kirby peter.c.kirby at b...
Mon Mar 29 21:53:00 BST 2004

RO>One of the good things about Seasalter is that they're, in the words
of George Pipe, a good 'gutsy' ring, with a bit of meat to them.
Not wishing to offend anyone (so I probably will!), I'd far rather
listen to the likes of Seasalter than the thin, insipid tones of
Rochford, Lightcliffe or Newhey any day!

- - -

Seeing as you've offended my tower (Lightcliffe) I might as well note
Pateley Bridge (same weight) have not been mentioned.

However, many people have compared Lightcliffe (Taylor) with those of
similar weight at nearby Denholme (WBF) (no longer ringable due to
structural problems) and most have preferred the tone of the bells at
Lightcliffe to that of those at Denholme although I accept Denholme were
much easier to ring but certainly not easy on the ear as anyone who rang
a peal there will testify.

Peter C Kirby