Accoustics and tone

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Tue Mar 30 12:00:10 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wilby" <andrew at w...>
wrote:
> In the same way as if you lie in a bath and hum around a bit you
can find
> the resonant frequency of the bath tub, I suspect that some bell
tower will
> have a resonant frequency or several.
>
> If the ring of bells matches those resonances then you should
expect to hear
> a resonant and amplified sound.
>
> Any reason why not? Any probable examples?
>
> Andrew

Probable examples: probably every excellent ring in the country!

You're absolutely right about every tower having a resonant
frequency.

When I was a member of the congregation at St Alphege, Seasalter, we
had a lay preacher (DLC will remember Wallace!) who could be heard in
every corner of the church without ever raising his voice above
normal speaking volume. His secret: he was able to pitch his voice,
and maintain it, at bottom Eb. Being a church with no side aisles
to complicate matters, this was the resonant frequency of the
building. The organ tuner once told me that the corresponding Eb on
the one pedal stop of the organ was, in reality, voiced considerably
quieter than the other pipes of the rank for just the same reason.