[Bell Historians] Re: Accoustics and tone

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Mar 30 12:10:12 BST 2004

> When I was a member of the congregation at St Alphege, Seasalter, we
> had a lay preacher (DLC will remember Wallace!) who could be heard in
> every corner of the church without ever raising his voice above
> normal speaking volume. His secret: he was able to pitch his voice,
> and maintain it, at bottom Eb. Being a church with no side aisles
> to complicate matters, this was the resonant frequency of the
> building. The organ tuner once told me that the corresponding Eb on
> the one pedal stop of the organ was, in reality, voiced considerably
> quieter than the other pipes of the rank for just the same reason.

So where a ring of bells is concerned, what frequency needs to be matched to the tower? The nominal of the tenor?

David
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime