[Bell Historians] Light rings (was 4-cwt eights)

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Mar 30 14:38:45 BST 2004

There are some nice light sixes in York. Clifton (tenor 3-1-23, treble 1-0-something!) were put in by David Potter in 1979 - the trebles are Taylor 1978, the back four Taylor 1937. The fittings are all by Taylor's - originally all had cast iron stocks, but it proved impossible to get the treble to clapper correctly and so it was fitted with a steel bar stock instead. The bells were deliberately fitted with over-large wheels and there are weights inside the bottom of the wheels of the front five. This was done because the draught is quite long for such small bells - about 30' from top of sally to garter hole. They go very well.

Even better is the six at Strensall, tenor 3-3-20 treble 1-0-15. These are composed of three Taylor (1,3,5) and three Whitechapel bells (2,4,6). They were hung by Whitechapel (1985, treble a few years later) with fabricated steel headstocks, etc. The draught is very short, and they are the easiest-going light six I've rung on.

The third light six is Stockton - 5-1-5, treble 2-3-0 and these are the most awkward. They have small wheels (especially the trebles) as space is verytight. The back four are Taylor 1895, trebles 1980. The trebles are very flighty.

The most awkward light ring I can think of is St Wilfrid's Harrogate, tenor6-something, all Taylor's 1970s. It was one of Ron Dove's projects. The front six are on
steel bar stocks, and are very, very flighty. The trebles especially are extremely tricky to control.

While on this subject, I've not measured this but it appears that Taylor's hang their trebles out further than Whitechapel, and do so more now that they used to. Why is this?

David
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime