[Bell Historians] Re: serious research?

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Tue Mar 30 19:18:05 BST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Offen [mailto:richard.offen at o...]
Sent: 30 March 2004 17:26
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: serious research?

One of the things that constantly annoys me about the Wiltshire VCH is the
lack of research when it comes to bells. The compiler takes immense pains
to read a large number of documents on land and its inheritance, and then
consults Walters' 'Church Bells of Wiltshire'for the bells, and very rarely
bothers to go to such documents as churchwardens' accounts. Consequently
mistakes are perpetrated and ommissions made. The Bradford VCH was written
in 1951 and makes no mention of the Gillett 8 at Christ Church cast in 1923.
As for the Marlborough St Peter entry I can only say don't believe it.

Anne Willis