[Bell Historians] Light rings and Tower Accoustics

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Mar 30 20:47:44 BST 2004

> Hung-out trebles: the trebles at Worcester Cathedral are hung with flanged
> canons, as York used to be. I don't find them particularly awkward to
> strike, but I do suspect (as Mark R has hinted) that the increased clapper
> throw causes the clapper to strike sooner relative to the swing of the
bell
> so that the effect of slowing down the bells swing (by being hung out) is
> nullified (in terms of "striking time" by the increased speed of the
> clapper. (Hope that makes sense!)

At Worcester it's the four trebles - the only place where more than the
front two have flange tops. I remember noticing that they are quite a bit
shorter waisted than the York trebles, so perhaps the effect of the tops
isn't so great as it was at York.