[Bell Historians] Tower arch rope grooves

David Beacham david1.beacham at v...
Wed Mar 31 09:01:59 BST 2004

I've noticed such grooves in tower arches, too. They are not that uncommon
in locations where the sexton could both toll a funeral bell and, at the
same time, by dragging the rope against the arch, poke his head out to watch
for the arrival of the procession. In times past, everybody was buried in
the churchyard (no cremations); also a higher death rate (especially of
infants) and the bell would have been tolled for all of them.

That's my theory, anyway.

David B.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Grave" <kgrave at f...>
To: "Bellhistorians" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 11:05 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Tower arch rope grooves

Hi
I was on an outing last Saturday & noticed something I'd never seen before.
At two separate churches there were tremendous grooves cut deep into the
stone either side of the top of the arch between the tower base and the nave
(on the tower side).
They could only have been cut by bell ropes pulled very tight against the
stonework, probably over a period of decades. I estimated three separated
ropes might have been involved. The ropes obviously fell from the tower
above but the ringers had clearly walked out into the nave pulling the ropes
with them. WHY??

The only theory I could come up with is that by bracing the rope against the
stone the bell could have been held over the balance without a stay.
Especially if the ropes were then tied to something in the church. It must
have caused endless rope breakages.

Anyone got a better theory?

Karl Grave
Bingley, "The Throstle Nest of England"
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime

Yahoo! Groups Links