Removed in the war

Andrew Wilby andrew at w...
Wed Mar 31 19:01:26 BST 2004

DB <It's a shame they weren't removed for safety before the war, as a number of other city-centre rings were.>

I think it could be true that all the towers emptied during the war for safety remained unscathed whilst those with the bells left in got hit

Bells removed were thus not necessarily safe!

Is there a list of those removed? Did Dove list those rings destroyed?

Let me start it off the top...

Removed

Southwark
Magnus the M (thus in greater danger)
Cornhill
?
?

Destroyed

Bow
Cripplegate
Jewry
Hart St
St Brides
St Paul's (east end hit)
Horsleydown
Dunstan's in the East

Looks as if the the Luftwaffe were using an old copy of the College Youths practice schedule as a guide.

I'm beginning to feel a touch of paranoia, was Goerbels a Cumberland do you think?

Andrew