Removed in the war

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Wed Mar 31 21:34:47 BST 2004

---

I think I am correct in thinking that St. Paul's Bedford were removed
as a precaution against destruction by bombing. When the bells were
put back, the then 9th was recast.
What a pity that St. Magnus were removed - they might still be there
had they been left in situ.
I am fairly confident that all of the churches that had their bells
destroyed as a result of enemy action benefitted greatly from that
action. Not only were the majority of the buildings restored to
pristine condition, but they were invested with excellent rings of
bells- Foster Lane, Cripplegate, Bow, Holborn St. Andrew, St. Clement
Danes, Jewry - the list goes on.

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wilby" <andrew at w...> wrote:
> DB <It's a shame they weren't removed for safety before the war, as
a number of other city-centre rings were.>

> I think it could be true that all the towers emptied during the war
for safety remained unscathed whilst those with the bells left in got
hit

> Bells removed were thus not necessarily safe!
>
> Is there a list of those removed? Did Dove list those rings
destroyed?

> Let me start it off the top...
>
> Removed
>
> Southwark
> Magnus the M (thus in greater danger)
> Cornhill
> ?
> ?
>
> Destroyed
>
> Bow
> Cripplegate
> Jewry
> Hart St
> St Brides
> St Paul's (east end hit)
> Horsleydown
> Dunstan's in the East
>
> Looks as if the the Luftwaffe were using an old copy of the College
Youths practice schedule as a guide.

> I'm beginning to feel a touch of paranoia, was Goerbels a
Cumberland do you think?