Coventry (was William Wooding Starmer)

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed Mar 31 22:01:18 BST 2004

To respond to the various messages:

I do have a copy of CP's book on Coventry, it is very well thumbed,
I have read it many times. A good book.

As regards the relative merits of 1774 Whitechapel and 1926
Gilletts, the account of the debate in Young's book make interesting
reading. There was a good deal of anti-Simpson feeling (Simpson howl
and all that) but there was a clear view from several protagonists
that the Coventry bells should be preserved because they were the
very best example of their time, even if nowadays one could do
better. For example, one proposal from EAY himself was to buy the
bells and keep them safe in the hope they could be rehung somewhere
else in future, while allowing Coventry to have their Gillett chime.
This proposal foundered because Coventry wanted to reuse the actual
metal for reasons of sentiment - 'Our bells are not for sale'.

Since reading Young's book, I have done a detailed comparison of the
Coventry nominals against the figures I measured at Mancroft the
other day. It is quite clear from this comparison that Whitechapel
in the 1770s knew exactly what they were trying to do and pretty
much achieved it. When I get a bit of time I'll put up a webpage.

One interesting aspect of the argument in court was the disagreement
about the tuning of the bells. It is clear from A. A. Hughes'
figures that he was judging the bells against Just tuning - by this
standard they are almost all very close. The argument was made in
court that many of the bells were up to a quarter of a tone flat.
The most likely explanation is that they were being judged against
equal temperament (though it is just possible that the listener was
hearing the primes).

I felt very much for A. A. Hughes during the court hearing. He
states very robustly, in writing, that the bells were of high
quality for their date, but at the same time must have been beset by
Taylors and Gilletts taking his market by producing true-harmonic
bells. He eventually admitted in court that were he to cast such
bells now he would cast them with octave hums.

As I said, I now have the nominals of the bells. I don't suppose
Gilletts measured the partials before consigning them to 'their
fiery ordeal'? Is there any way of finding out?

Bill H