Heythrop, Oxon

Nick Bowden nickwbowden at f...
Wed May 5 22:49:36 BST 2004

My non-ringing brother who lives in the village, arranged this interesting
visit.

Three excellent bells, 22½", 23¾" and 26" diameter, notes, G, F# and E,
cast by T.C. Lewis of Brixton in 1880, hanging in the treble, 2nd and 3rd
pits of an oak frame for eight. Each inscribed:
T:C:L [and opposite] MDCCCLXXX
and have what appear to be 'Doncaster Canons'.

Traditional ringing fittings in a somewhat delicate condition except that
the
tenor wheel has been replaced by a lever. I wonder if they could be patched
up?

Nick Bowden