[Bell Historians] Bellringing Books

Michael A Williams michael at m...
Thu May 6 13:40:32 BST 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, David Bryant wrote:

> > Who is going to pay for them Michael. I would like to publish a reprint of
> > Lincolnshire Bells and Bellfounders but I would need a guarantee of at least
> > 150 subscribers.
>
> And I would like to publish my York researches (now more-or-less complete), but have the same problem!

Perhaps obtaining subscribers is the way to achieve it? The cost of
book printing has plummeted in the last couple of years with the advent of
digital printing on demand. When I published my Lundy book in 2001, it
cost me £4000 to print 1000 copies by conventional lithographical methods.
I'm in the process of organising a digital reprint (which might actually
become a new and revised edition) which is going to cost less than half
the original price. Short print runs are not significantly more expensive.

Basically, what I am saying is that it isn't as expensive as you think and
by obtaining subscribers you have an idea of how many copies to print AND
you have the capital available up front to pay for it.

I am more than happy to offer any help and assistance with the process.
Perhaps we should continue this discussion off-list?

--
Michael