Sharpe's Oxfordshire

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Fri May 7 11:21:40 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <david at b...>
wrote:
> RO:
>
> "Still subject to final confirmation, but probably between £11 & 12
> each. The price is relatively high because of the small numbers
> involved."
>
> Still a lot cheaper than the book, though. It always surprised me
that the
> Sharpe trust hadn't had it reprinted like they did with
Herefordshire.

> Does anyone know how much the Oxfordshire book is actually worth at
the
> moment?
>
> David

We have not reprinted Church Bells of Herefordshire, we are merely
selling the stock that remained after Fred death - the same applies
to the Kingsmead reprint of Church Bells of Berkshire.

The cost of reprinting Church Bells of Oxfordshire would have been
prohibitive and given that the book is now over 50 years out of date,
we felt would have been of little value without a major revision. A
cd rom therefore offers an economical way of making the information
available in CBOO to the limited number of people who would be
interested in obtaining it.

It is also interesting to note, before anyone has the idea of issuing
all old bell books on cd rom, that the company who are doing the work
for us prefer to make the scans from flat sheets. They have some
software that flattens out the inevitable curvature that occurs near
the spine of a book when it is scanned, but this puts the production
cost up by a not insignificant amount. Luckily, we have an unbound
copy of CBOO, so this was not a problem.

Richard