[Bell Historians] Stayless trebles

David Bryant david at b...
Thu May 13 11:56:51 BST 2004

> On the subject of different stay materials, I remember, many years
> ago, going up to look at the bells at Coltishall in Norfolk and
> finding that the treble had been fitted with two pieces of bent angle-
> iron in place of the stay. Given that the bells were on G & J
> headstocks and the propensity to gudgeon failure this manufacturer's
> stock have, it was a wonder there hadn't been a nasty accident!

I believe the headstock of the 3rd at Aston got smashed by using a box-section steel stay, and the bell had to be be rehung on a new stock. Bells have had the crown broken out by too strong a stay being fitted - e.g. Bosbury, Herefordshire.

I've tried stays with dowells, and found that they go too easily and, as Andrew said, without warning.

It's getting quite difficult to get good air-dried ash. The kiln dried stuff is crap, especially for small socketed stays - a slight tap and over it goes!

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/