Ash

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu May 13 13:51:02 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "bellmaster"
<andrew_higson at t...> wrote:
> I had a similar problem when I was at university in Birmingham.
Learners at Edgabston carved through innumerable stays that we had
bought locally. I was allowed to try buying a stay from the trade -
WBF, as it happened and, hey presto, it didn't get broken again - at
least not for the time I was there, nor were any of the others that
we subsequently replaced with "proper" ash. Long term, the saving to
that tower by paying more for a better cut of wood outweighed the
initial extra expense, especially as it came in the post rather than
having to chase around to a suitable(ish) wood yard.

> Andrew

I bought some, supposedly, air dried ash from a local, and pretty
reputable, timber merchant some years ago to make stay to replace two
worm-eaten ones at Great Ness. All I can say is that it must have
been air dried in the Sahara Desert, because it was clear from the
moment that I started machining it that it was desiccated beyond
belief.

However, I pressed on regardless and replaced the treble (2 cwt)
stay. I raised the bell to check that all was well, set it and two
seconds later, the stay snapped like a carrot! What a waste of time
and money!