Stayless trebles

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Fri May 14 00:02:43 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Chris Povey" <cmpovey at 3...>
wrote:
> Thanks to Richard (Offen) and Jim (Phillips) for the reasons for
using deal/pine as stays for small bells, ie it is cheaper: even 'a
good deal cheaper'.

> But is it? The basic material will be cheaper, although parana pine
won't be much cheaper than ash. Matthew (Higby) tells us that the ash
stays at Warden Hill didn't break easily, so the tower Captain asked
for pine ones that did (!). I would guess that ash lasts at least
twice as long as softwood (deal/pine/parana pine), because it's known
to be the best for flexibility and shock absorption (otherwise, why
do we use it?).

At Seasalter (whoops, sorry, St Alphege, Whitstable!), as far as we
were concerned, it was as much about availability as price. Pine
was readily available from the timber merchant round the corner,
whereas ash frequently wasn't. It was also pretty galling to see
good bits of ash reduced to a size that Swan Vesta could use by ham-
fisted ringers ...somehow it didn't seem to matter when it was a bit
of spruce!

With our standard section pieces of wood and a complete set of tools
in the belfry, we had replacing a stay down to a fine art and could
do it in two or three minutes flat!