[Bell Historians] Re: Lichfield Cathedral

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Fri May 21 19:19:14 BST 2004

---

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Hutchieson"
<stuart.hutchieson at n...> wrote:
> The other tower has recently been extensively refurbished with
practice
> rooms for the Cathedral Choir. There would be insufficient room for
a ring
> of bells, etc.> complete.
>
> Stuart Hutchieson

This is very interesting.
The frame at Lichfield has given cause for concern for some time.
Was there ever any serious study performed to consider the transfer
the bells to the North West tower? It is obviously not possible now,
but it may be that an old frame in the South West tower would not
have hindered that tower being used for the choir.
I have heard it said that the Freemasons of Staffordshire wanted to
present a ring of twelve, that the insistence in using the old frame
prevented this, and that the bells are heavy for their key because
the metal for the 'missing' two trebles was used in the casting of
the ten. Is there any truth in this story? Also, why, in the
immediate post war period was this frame then treated with
such 'respect' when others were being thrown out for firewood? I
would suggest that conservation in the 1940's was fairly low on the
agenda.