[Bell Historians] Re: Lichfield Cathedral

David Bryant david at b...
Fri May 21 22:39:21 BST 2004

> I have heard it said that ... the bells are heavy for their key because
> the metal for the 'missing' two trebles was used in the casting of
> the ten. Is there any truth in this story?

Doubt it. 30/31 cwt is Taylor's heaviest 'D' scale, used for towers with
good acoustics which Lichfield certainly has. They tend to use thinner
scales where the towers have poorer acoustics, because thinner bells hum
more and sound better if the acoustics are poor - thicker bells nead a good
tower to sound good.

This is what Ged Flatters told me, so it's the Taylor viewpoint.