Ellacombe or not?

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Fri May 21 18:24:47 BST 2004

In private correspondence with Mike Chester about chiming mechanisms, 
I raised a question about use of the term "Ellacombe". I've often 
used it as a loose equivalent for any sort of taut-rope clavier. He 
uses whatever term has been reported to him by his sources, which is 
quite reasonable.

But shouldn't that term really be reserved for what H.T.Ellacombe 
actually designed--a quick-release rack for use with chiming hammers 
mounted below ringing bells? And if so, what should it actually be 
called? Possible candidates:
Ellacombe apparatus
Ellacombe stand [analogous to chimestand]
Ellacombe rack
something else?

If the term should be restricted to Ellacombe's invention, then what 
terminology should be used for other taut-rope (non-keyboard) playing 
mechanisms? Such mechanisms are still in use with Harrington tubular 
chimes in England and Canada, as well as Hooper conventional chimes 
in Massachusetts.

Ideas, please?


More information about the Bell-historians mailing list