[Bell Historians] Ellacombe or not?

John Norris JRN at N...
Sat May 22 12:45:14 BST 2004

On Fri 21 May, Carl S Zimmerman wrote:
> In private correspondence with Mike Chester about chiming mechanisms, 
> I raised a question about use of the term "Ellacombe". I've often 
> used it as a loose equivalent for any sort of taut-rope clavier. He 
> uses whatever term has been reported to him by his sources, which is 
> quite reasonable.
> But shouldn't that term really be reserved for what H.T.Ellacombe 
> actually designed--a quick-release rack for use with chiming hammers 
> mounted below ringing bells? And if so, what should it actually be 
> called? Possible candidates:
> Ellacombe apparatus
> Ellacombe stand [analogous to chimestand]
> Ellacombe rack
> something else?
> If the term should be restricted to Ellacombe's invention, then what 
> terminology should be used for other taut-rope (non-keyboard) playing 
> mechanisms? Such mechanisms are still in use with Harrington tubular 
> chimes in England and Canada, as well as Hooper conventional chimes 
> in Massachusetts.
> Ideas, please?
> Carl

At Hurstpierpoint we call our chiming apparatus just that - the 'chiming

(As it has a label stating it was made by Warner it would hardly be
appropriate to call it Ellacombe, quite apart from the design being
slightly different)

John Norris

More information about the Bell-historians mailing list