[Bell Historians] Re: Canon-retaining headstocks

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Sun May 23 23:23:19 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <david at b...>
wrote:
> > say 'types' because Taylors' current design had a predecessor
(cf.
> Tideswell).
>
> What do they look like?
>
> David

If Chris and I are thinking of the same ones, they were of riveted
plate steel and of a fairly similar shape to their current cast-iron
ones.

Taylors also hung some bells on a variation of their standard iron
headstock. The picutre of Brockworth treble, in Church Bells of
Gloucestershire (page 169),has always amazed me. Quite why the bell
bolts don't bend when it's rung, I don't know!

Richard