[Bell Historians] Re: Canon-retaining headstocks

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Mon May 24 09:01:26 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:
> > If Chris and I are thinking of the same ones, they were of
riveted
> > plate steel and of a fairly similar shape to their current cast-
iron
> > ones.
>
> There's one of those in the foundry museum - I wasn't sure whether
this was what was meant.

> > Taylors also hung some bells on a variation of their standard
iron
> > headstock. The picutre of Brockworth treble, in Church Bells of
> > Gloucestershire (page 169),has always amazed me. Quite why the
bell
> > bolts don't bend when it's rung, I don't know!
>
> York St John (ring of six) also have them, along with the ring of
two at All Saints North Street, York. They used them quite a lot
before the hoop type came into use.

> The Whitechapel ones are similar. In some cases the bells are
suspended by ironwork through their canons, but certainly some have
long unsupported bolts. The tenor at St George Cplegate, Norwich,
springs to mind.

> David

Yes, the early Whitechapel ones used the canons to suspend the bell
from this type of headstock and then it was decided that it would be
safer to use through bolts. There are a couple of hollow canons in
the foundry display case (hollowness probably caused by gas bubbles
rising to the head of the bell from the molten metal when the bell
was cast), which probably explains the change of suspension method.