Alfred Bowell

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Mon May 24 23:43:19 BST 2004

Whilst we're on the subject of Alfred Bowell (one of my bell founding
and bell hanging heros!), I'd be very interested to know from Andrew
Higson how the Bowell bells at Frindsbury (Kent) tuned up the other
year?

Bowell's splendid, heavy six at Smarden, cast at about the same time,
are pretty well a true harmonic ring (there is an excellent old
photograph of Smarden tenor on Bowell's tuning machine on the Smarden
page of Love's Guide to the Bells of Kent) and I was wondering if the
seven at Frinsbury were the same?

Richard