[Bell Historians] Alfred Bowell

Andrew Higson, Bellmaster andrew_higson at t...
Tue May 25 09:13:26 BST 2004

Frindsbury were not as close to harmonic bells as Smarden sound to be. Whilst we got the tenor in line with some ease, the rest all ended up with hums about 30 - 50 cents sharp and fundamentals increasingly flat toward the treble end to the tune of about 200 cents. The tierces were all a shade flat. Having retired the John Wilner 4th which had 10 holes in the head (but no centre hole) the peal sounded good in the tuning shop. I haven't had the benefit of hearing them in situ.

Andrew Higson
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Offen
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 11:43 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Alfred Bowell

Whilst we're on the subject of Alfred Bowell (one of my bell founding
and bell hanging heros!), I'd be very interested to know from Andrew
Higson how the Bowell bells at Frindsbury (Kent) tuned up the other
year?

Bowell's splendid, heavy six at Smarden, cast at about the same time,
are pretty well a true harmonic ring (there is an excellent old
photograph of Smarden tenor on Bowell's tuning machine on the Smarden
page of Love's Guide to the Bells of Kent) and I was wondering if the
seven at Frinsbury were the same?

Richard

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor