Incorporated Church Building Society

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Tue May 25 13:41:42 BST 2004

In an idle moment I was searching the net and came across the
following site: http://www.churchplansonline.org/. An extract from
the blurb will explain:

======

The Incorporated Church Building Society: The ICBS was founded in
1818 to provide funds for the building and enlargement of Anglican
churches throughout England and Wales. It was the principal voluntary
Society for promoting the building and restoration of churches
throughout the most active period of church building since the Middle
Ages.

The ICBS archive: The archive includes over 15,000 files relating to
applications by parishes for grants from the Society. The earliest
file is dated 1818 and the latest 1982. Individual files may include
application forms, correspondence, plans, building specifications,
engravings or artists' impressions, certificates of satisfactory
completion, parochial subscription lists, parish magazines, and
photographs (from 1867 onwards).

There are also minute books for the period 1818-1987 which record the
proceedings of committees and AGMs. The minute books are very useful
in filling in the gaps where files haven't survived. There is also an
additional volume relating to the foundation of the Society in 1818.

Some 12,300 plans are included in these files which, in some
instances, are the only surviving evidence for the layout of the
church before restoration. Where the church has since been
demolished, it may be the only extant plan.

===========

The archive have digitised all 12,600(sic) plans and put them online
in a searchable database. Other information available online includes
dates of major building work, names of the architect(s) involved, and
brief notes of the resources available offline.

I tried a random selection of searches and found:
* a plan of Derwent, Derbyshire
* information on the building of St Michael, Paddington (the grant
application was rejected!)
* a plan of Rugby before the tower with the eight was built.

While not a primary resource for bell-historians, I can see this
archive being very useful for background information, finding the
dates of work on a church etc, and also as a source of photographs.

I have only looked at the online information (which has been up on
the net since last year). Does anyone know how accessible are the
offline archives, which appear to be comprehensive?

Bill H