St. Stephen, Hampstead

nigelsdtaylor nigeltaylor at k...
Fri Nov 5 13:41:37 GMT 2004

.Alan is quite right about The ten in Hampstead - they were appalling
to listen to , but in a way I would almost like to go back there and
ring. Am I right in thinking that were cast as complete 10 in the
1850's ? Perhaps they were the most dreadful ten in Greater London ,
but of course there could be quite a debate as to which is or was the
worst.

Jim Shepard

I rang at Hampstead in the mid. 1970's. My recollection of them was
that the back 4 were very respectable, the back 8 were just about
tolerable, but the two trebles in 10 were very sharp indeed. I have
little doubt that with tuning, they could have been a very decent 10.
I think that it would have been possible to "Simpson tune" the back
bells, unless my memory is failing me. I do possess the weights and
diameters, but no tuing figures.
Incidentally, I noticed that they had G & J ball-bearing units, and
had been rehung around 1927.
Nigel taylor