[Bell Historians] Joseph Hatch.

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sat Nov 20 01:59:30 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Yes, it is a good little book; there are two others contemporary with it by=
the same editorial committee: "Sturry, the Changing Scene" and "Fordwich, =
the Lost Port"; this was followed later by "Hoath and Herne" - whose bells =
are also described by Richard (with a gracious acknowledgment to myself in =
the first case!).

sed at Whitechapel by Robert Mot (1570-1606), and its use was revived by Th=
omas Bartlet (1616-1632) and his son Antony (1640-1675) and grandson James =
(1675-1700). Mot placed his initials, RM with the sacred monogram IHS below=
; Of the Bartlets, all retained the three bells and monogram; in addition =
Thomas had THOMAS . BARTLET . MADE . ME circumferentially; Antony had no in=
dividual distinguishing mark and James had I B either side of the upper bel=
l. The use then declined so far as a casting mark was concerned until Arthu=
r Hughes took over in 1904. He omitted the monogram, placing his initials A=
H either side of the upper bell. A. A. Hughes and his brothers placed thei=
r initials either side or below the upper bell. A A H alone, spaced equally=
; or AA/H RA/H
and occasionally AA/H RA/H / LA/H. After c1930 AAH alone appears, the next =
change appearing in 1950 with AA/H WA/H / DH ; and a while after the death =
of Bert Hughes (1964) the present form WA &D / H was adopted. Joseph Hatch=
's stamp was similar, but had a milled border instead of a wreath, no crown=
over the upper bell and of course it contained his initials I H either sid=
e of the top bell.

2 There are still over 100 of Joseph Hatch's bells left in Kent. Quite a nu=
mber are in the condition that they (apparently) left the foundry, though f=
ew in ringing peals. A good number of his bells were cast flat and were tun=
ed by 'skirting' the lip. Some have been filed in the soundbow. Whether thi=
s was by him or later bellhangers is a matter for conjecture.

3. There are apparently no traces left of the foundry, which Stahlschmidt s=
tates (1887) on the authority of Mr James T Hatch stood "on the north side =
of King's Wood, in Ulcombe parish.....in a field at this day called 'the We=
lmonground'. evidently a corruption of 'the bellman's ground', and the scor=
iae and debris remained within my time and memory". Joseph's grave, in Broo=
mfield churchyard, was restored by the KCACR a few years since.

4. The foundry is described in Stahlschmidt, "The Church Bells of Kent" and=
Elphick "Sussex Bells and Belfries". There was a small pamphlet by J Hilto=
n published c1960, but some of the information therein needs to be treated =
with caution.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20