Channel Island Bells
johnedavid at h...
Mon Nov 22 21:53:43 GMT 2004
. A D Tyssen visited Jersey for three weeks in August 1907 and then Guernsey
for a fortnight in August and September, and published the Church Bells of
Guernsey and the Church Bells of Jersey in 1908. The published inscription
for the St Laurence bell was
+CETE CLOCHE EST POVR LA PAROISSE DE SAINT LORANS A IARZE Ao 1592 IW.
His son also visited Alderney, and saw two bells in the old church tower,
the inscription of the smaller was
CLEMANT TOSEAR CAST MEE IN 1701.
He does not say that he knew of these inscriptions 20 years earlier.
More information about the Bell-historians