G & J's tuning machines

nigelsdtaylor nigeltaylor at k...
Mon Oct 25 13:34:20 BST 2004

As well as the small machine that Whitechapel purchased in 1957, G &
J had two other vertical boring machines. The "intermediate" machine
was bought by C.F.J. in 1909 as the bell side of the business was
rapidly expanding. The small machine can accommodate bells of up to
41"-42" diameter, depending upon the height. Cyril realised that
before long he would require a larger machine. The intermediate
machine had bolt on extension plates. Without the plates, the largest
sized bell it would accept was around 78"; with the first set of
extensions: around 102" and with the 2nd set: about 112". It was
however rather unstable with bells much over 10 tons. The large ex.
Warner machine was aquired around 1925. Whether or not it was
installed in time to tune the Wanamaker bell (112" 15 1/2 tons), I do
not know. It was subsequently used for the larger Riverside and
Chicago bells. It was also used for aligning large clock dials.
The large machine was scrapped after the closure of G & J. What
happened to the intermediate machine I do not know. It was offered to
Whitechapel, but sadly there was nowhere to put it! It was from all
accounts, an excellent machine.
Nigel Taylor