Founders' Artefacts

Anne Willis zen16073 at z...
Fri Sep 3 11:25:30 BST 2004

I must have missed David Bryant's comment, reported in from the e-lists,
that pre-industrial founders had few artefacts.

I am never very comfortable with the phrase 'pre-industrial', but if you
look at the probate inventories of 17th and 18th century founders, then
their working tools are quite numerous. Bearing in mind that probate
inventories could be quite sketchy, pictures of well-equiped workshops
emerge. The February 1760 probate inventory for Abel Rudhall is very lengthy
indeed.

AW