[Bell Historians] Founders' Artefacts

Anne Willis zen16073 at z...
Fri Sep 3 13:59:05 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

This email and ones that have gone before it sounds like it could be of
interest to me. The bells at my tower (St Mary's, Wotton under Edge, Glos,
8 bells, tenor 18.5 cwt) were cast by Able Rudhall in Gloucester in 1756.
The treble and tenor were recast by Taylors in 1902, the treble to bring it
into tune with the other bells, the tenor because it fell of the wagon on
it's way back to the tower from Loughborough! Apart from that I don't know
much about the bells and I would like to find out more in time for their 250
anniversary in 2006. Research on the web showned that Rudhalls were taken
over by Mears and Stainbank which in turn became The Whitechapel Bell
Foundry. Unfortunately, I understand from Whitechapel that records
relating to the Rudhall period were lost in a fire at Whitechapel a number
of years ago. I wonder if anyone out there could help with any more data on
Rudhalls or point me in the direction of previous emails on this subject.

Thanks.

Try the Churchwardens' accounts at Gloucester Record Office for a start.
Visitation returns may also be of interest. The Gloucestershire
Archaeological Society (or whatever it is called) may have references in its
journal, as may other local History Societies.

Abel Rudhall's probate inventory is also at the GRO.

Have fun.

Anne Willis