[Bell Historians] Founders' Artefacts

Harper, Andrew (Andrew) andrewharper at l...
Fri Sep 3 11:49:44 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

This email and ones that have gone before it sounds like it could be of interest to me. The bells at my tower (St Mary's, Wotton under Edge, Glos, 8 bells, tenor 18.5 cwt) were cast by Able Rudhall in Gloucester in 1756. The treble and tenor were recast by Taylors in 1902, the treble to bring it into tune with the other bells, the tenor because it fell of the wagon on it's way back to the tower from Loughborough! Apart from that I don't know much about the bells and I would like to find out more in time for their 250 anniversary in 2006. Research on the web showned that Rudhalls were taken over by Mears and Stainbank which in turn became The Whitechapel Bell Foundry. Unfortunately, I understand from Whitechapel that records relating to the Rudhall period were lost in a fire at Whitechapel a number of years ago. I wonder if anyone out there could help with any more data on Rudhalls or point me in the direction of previous emails on this subject.

Thanks.

Best regards

Andrew Harper

Tower Captain

ST Mary's

Wotton under Edge, Glos

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Willis [mailto:zen16073 at z...]
Sent: 03 September 2004 11:26
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Founders' Artefacts

I must have missed David Bryant's comment, reported in from the e-lists,
that pre-industrial founders had few artefacts.

I am never very comfortable with the phrase 'pre-industrial', but if you
look at the probate inventories of 17th and 18th century founders, then
their working tools are quite numerous. Bearing in mind that probate
inventories could be quite sketchy, pictures of well-equiped workshops
emerge. The February 1760 probate inventory for Abel Rudhall is very lengthy
indeed.

AW

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129boium7/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1707285820:HM/EXP=1094293535/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com> click here
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=349189547>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: