[Bell Historians] Early Gillett & Bland

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Thu Sep 9 12:04:10 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

According to their early catalogue, 1877, which was when Arthur Johnston (C=
FJ's father) became a partner and the bell foundry buildings were added.
It was, of course, some years before his name appeared in the firm's title =
(Gillett, Bland & Co until 1884; Gillett & Co 1884-1887 thence G&J).

The earliest bell I have seen with their name on it is 1878.

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: LOVE, Dickon=20
To: Bell Historians (E-mail)=20
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 11:05 AM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Early Gillett & Bland

Here is another Gillett question. When did they actually start casting th=
eir
own bells, and was there a time when they just made clocks and used other
people's bells? Were any bells cast before they started listing them in t=
he
tuning books?

I have come across a reference to a bell at St Paul's, New Beckenham. The
clock and a 4 cwt bell were supplied in 1876 by Gillett & Bland, a year
before bells appear in the tuning books. I haven't been able to inspect t=
he
bell yet but it appears to be too early to be a G&B bell.

DrL

P.S. Was interested to see the Lovesguide hit counter go through the roof
following the BBC's coverage of Chris Cooper's attempt to "bring down the
clergy" in Leeds...

not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.=20

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

=20=20=20=20=20=20
c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service=
.=20