[Bell Historians] Early Gillett & Bland

LOVE, Dickon dickon.love at a...
Thu Sep 9 16:10:56 BST 2004

DLC:
"According to their early catalogue, 1877, which was when Arthur Johnston
(CFJ's father) became a partner and the bell foundry buildings were added.
It was, of course, some years before his name appeared in the firm's title
(Gillett, Bland & Co until 1884; Gillett & Co 1884-1887 thence G&J).
The earliest bell I have seen with their name on it is 1878."

I appreciate this, but my question is what did they do prior to 1877? Did
they have a 3rd party supplier of bells? Or a preferred supplier?

Kippington (Sevenoaks) is supposed to be an 1877 Gillett bell and the
earliest in Kent, but I don't know whether it has their name on it. In
respect of New Beckenham, I suppose I need to climb the tower...

DrL

not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.