[Bell Historians] Waresley, Huntingdonshire

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Sep 28 09:09:35 BST 2004

> But I think that only multiples of *both* seven and four "indicate
> quarters of a hundredweight". Perhaps other multiples of 7 suggest
> measurement to the nearest half stone? Or was such a measure ever
> actually used?

7lbs is a quarter of a quarter (28 lbs). Foundry estimated weights are sometimes given to the nearest 7lb. Obviously, one weight in a set ending in 0 or a multiple of seven is quite believable, but if they all do I would be suspicious.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/