[Bell Historians] Waresley, Huntingdonshire

Andrew Bull andrew.bull at t...
Tue Sep 28 11:49:46 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bryant [mailto:david at b...]
Sent: 28 September 2004 09:10
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Re: [Bell Historians] Waresley, Huntingdonshire

> But I think that only multiples of *both* seven and four "indicate=20
> quarters of a hundredweight". Perhaps other multiples of 7 suggest=20
> measurement to the nearest half stone? Or was such a measure ever=20
> actually used?

7lbs is a quarter of a quarter (28 lbs). Foundry estimated weights are
sometimes given to the nearest 7lb. Obviously, one weight in a set ending i=
0 or a multiple of seven is quite believable, but if they all do I would be
suspicious.

David

=20
It would be better if the convention was universally adopted where a weight
given as 11-1-0 meant that the bell in question had actually been weighed
and was 11 cwt, 1 quarter, and 0 pounds exactly, and that a weight given as
11=BC cwt denoted an approximate or reputed weight.
=20
The now scrapped bells of Holy Trinity, Shaftesbury, were retuned in the
1950s, and were weighed after tuning; the exact weights of all six bells
ended in "0". See Chris Dalton's "Dorset".
=20
Andrew Bull