[Bell Historians] 'Bell weights' A mathematician responds

Richard Offen richard at s...
Wed Sep 29 16:43:24 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:
> "ANY combination of lbs has an equal chance of occurring as any
other, so one tower having all ending is zero is possible, however
seemingly unlikely."

> I've heard a rumour that the tenor at Helmsley actually weighed 15-
0-0, but Taylor's published the weight as 14-3-27 because 15-0-0
seemed too unbelievable. Don't know whether this is true, and Andrew
H is apparently accompanying the two new trebles to Lundy so won't be
around to answer.

> David

Hope he's as good a sailor as he is tuner - the crossing to Lundy can
be pretty lumpy at times!