[Bell Historians] Re: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Richard Offen richard at ...
Sat Apr 9 21:53:57 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at a... wrote:

> davidbryant at h... writes:
>
> I beg to differ. My experience is that split pins are more likely
to prevent
> the nuts undoing than lock nuts are. Problems with split pins
often arise
> because they are reused many times and become weakened from being
bent back
> and forth a number of times.
>
> David
>

> In my experience - a plain nut with a nyloc nut on top (locked
together) -
> never comes undone!
>
> Matthew

Well said Matthew! It's a matter of engineering common sense: from
first principles a lock nut has got to be better than a split pin.

Apart from that, David clearly has never had the bother of drilling
out the remians of a split pin that has rusted into the nut and
broken off in the process of extraction. After only one or two
operations of that sort, you become ardently anti-split pin!!!!

Richard